History. In 1886 Earlville had four Catholic families. St. Joseph Catholic Church was built that year, sponsored mainly by non-Catholics, who were convinced that a Catholic church would bring more people and business into town. A small frame church was built for $3,500 and was dedicated on January 12, 1887. In 1911, the pastor of the Dyersville parish, Father Henry Dunkel, began to care for the people of St. Joseph. Father Dunkel was placed in charge and in 1921 became the first pastor. Work began on the current church in 1939. The church was built for $35,000 and seated 416 people. Father Dunkel died February 12, 1940. His funeral was the first held in the new church.
Parish Committees and Meeting Minutes
Secretary, Jane Knipper